Charles ‘crushed’ after finding out about Harry’s Meghan bombshell minutes before public
King Charles was said to have been “crushed” after learningPrince Harry was issuing a statement confirming his relationship withMeghan Markle just 20 minutes before its release.
The 74-year-old now monarch, who was still Prince of Wales at the time, was on an important tour of the Middle East in November 2016 and was set for a delicate summit with the King of Bahrain.
But theDuke of Sussex’s statement confirming his relationship with Meghan, 41, eclipsed Charles’ overseasroyal engagement.
In the biography Finding Freedom, which details the Sussexes’ decision to quit royal life in 2020, it was claimed the King was blindsided by his son's public statement about his new girlfriend.
It was also said that Charles was given just 20 minutes to process the new information before it was announced to the world.
Authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand said the King was "crushed" by the announcement, which he knew would overshadow his much-anticipated Middle East tour.
The book said: "It was a critical moment that had been in the works for months.
"A statement from Kensington Palace condemning the Press and, in the same breath, confirming Harry's new girlfriend would all but eliminate coverage of Prince Charles's tour of the Gulf."
However, despite being "disappointed" by the timing of the announcement, the book claimed Charles understood something needed to be said because "the situation with Meghan had reached a tipping point".
The statement also saw Harry, 38, accuse the UK press coverage of his then-rumoured relationship with Meghan as having "racial undertones".
The book also claimed Harry would lash out at anyone who questioned his new relationship.
It added: "He would wonder, 'Is this about race? Is it snobbery?’”
It was also claimed he was "poised for an outright war" with the press and he cut ties with a friend for "gossiping about Meghan".
Relations between the Sussexes and the Royal Family have been strained since the couple decided tostep back from senior royal duties in 2020.
Harry and Meghan went on to give an interview to Oprah Winfrey in 2021, which was followed at the end of last year by their controversialNetflix documentary.
Tensions were heightened further still at the start of 2023 following the publication of the Duke’s bombshell memoir,Spare, which brought a freshround of attacks against the Royal Family.
The rift led to months of speculation about whether or not the Sussexes would attend King Charles’ Coronation on Saturday.
Harry attended the historic ceremony on his own asMeghan remained in the US with their children Lilibet, one, and Archie, who turned four on the same day.
Harry left Westminster Abbey swiftly after the Coronation ceremonyto catch a flight back to the US to be with his family.
Click here for today's top showbiz news
Mums race to buy Princess Charlotte’s bargain £20 trainers for their children
Prince George 'asked Charles' to change Page Boy uniform amid fears over tights comments
Princess Charlotte's failed curtsy and sweet way Queen Camilla reassured her
Kate's Coronation dress finally revealed – with last minute addition spotted by eagle-eyed fans
Source: Read Full Article